Wednesday 22 February 2012

What do you believe?

“When is the last time someone who really counted asked you about your faith?” asked spiritual life director, Mr. Gord Park, at this week’s chapel. 


And that doesn’t mean your Sunday school teacher, or Mom, or Dad, or teacher, he said, but rather someone who really wants to know what you believe.

“Some of us might go through life and not have to answer a question about our faith to somebody who doesn’t already expect what our answer will be,” he said.

His own first experience came in university, when another student in a study group asked him whether he was a Christian, he said.

He panicked at first, but then answered “yes.”

Outside of the safety of his family and his church, “It was my first profession of faith,” he said.

But it turned out the others in the study group merely wanted to know how the Christian symbolism of fire might be relevant to The Sound and The Fury, a novel by William Faulkner. Later, the student who had asked the question approached him again.

“You are lucky,” she told him, “because you believe something that is foundational to your life.”  It affects how you think, and how you live and how you make decisions, she said.

“God lines us up for moments when someone will ask,” Mr. Park said. “How ready are you for that? To be able to say ‘Where is God in this?’ or ‘What does this mean?’”

He read I Peter 3:15 – Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. 

This is not a chapel where I tell you what to say, he said. “It’s your story. What do YOU believe? Ask yourself ‘Why do I believe?’ or ‘What is it that gives me faith?’ despite where you are in the journey.”

Mr. Park said those students who will be travelling to South Africa in March, or those who have the opportunity to participate in a summer Serve project, often have a chance to give an account of what they believe.

He said the amazing thing that happens when you give an account of your faith is that even though you may be nervous or frightened, “God pours right back into you as you speak. His spirit moves through you, even when you are nervous.

“As you give, you grow. And as you speak, others grow,” he said.

“You are drawn closer to him and your faith grows,” he said, “and others feel the moving of the spirit of God in their lives. God’s spirit ties us together in unity. Profession of faith creates community.”

Mr. Park invited five students who will be part of the South Africa team next month to profess their faith. Here’s what they said.


Kurtis – Psalm 118: 24 Let us rejoice today and be glad.
“Showing joy doesn’t mean we forget about our struggles, but we have a God who goes with us along the way.”


Josh – Joshua 24: 14 Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve. . . . as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.
“We are here for a purpose, to serve God.”

Devon – Isaiah 40: 31 Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles;  they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
“Whatever I do, God will be there for me. God will give me strength for whatever comes my way.”


David – Philippians 4:13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
“I have had challenges in my life, but I can get through with God.”


Matt – Philippians 4:13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Before a major Sr.Boys volleyball game at OFSSA on Manitoulin Island “I prayed that I would do everything I can to benefit my team.” Then at a turning point in the game, when Matt’s contribution was crucial, “God calmed my nerves. The feeling you get is amazing, when you know that God answers your prayer.”

Also in chapel today, Praise Team “Unplugged” leading us in singing “God of This City,” “Beautiful One,” and “Everlasting God.”


Student Council played Plinko with top sellers in the magazine campaign.
Want to support student activities at Smithville Christian?
You can still order magazines at QSP.ca. Our school code is 11632.


No comments:

Post a Comment